What Matters to Me and Why

When I was 14, may parents and I went to Canada and Taiwan. This was my first taste of the world outside Korea. It was vey memorable for me as it game me a glance of the life and landscapes outside my country.  In Canada,  I marvelled at how they were able to balance modernity and greenery, how the conveniences of urban living can be mixed with the charm of a rural life. I was also amazed by  In Taiwan, I had a sore from craning my neck to look at their skycraper and modern amenities. I found this quite impressive since Taiwan is such a small country. I admired the Taiwanese for making the best of their limited space. Few years after our visit in Canada and Taiwan, we went to Europe. The beauty of this continent is none of those Ive seen before. The Europeans banked on their past. They renovate the old buildings and not demolish them. Being there feels like being back in in the Renaissance period. It was magnificent. Whats more astonishing is how each country in Europe has a distinct characteristic despite the unified 19th century look.  France is known for its fine wine and elegant lifestyle, England for its royalty and power, and Italy for its wonderful architecture and artworks. From these trips, I gained a global perspective and learned about the beauty of cultural and geographical diversity. I got interested in how other countries operate, how people from each country behave, how the landscapes of each country differ. Most of all I learned that despite the differences, the world can live in harmony by respecting cultural beliefs and idiosyncrasies.

After some time, I went to China as part of my course work in Namseoul University. The goal was to let Chinese people know about Korean culture and gain profit in doing so. Our group researched the products were in-demand in the Chinese market. We decided on the wholesale cell phone accessories and nail cutters with characters wearing the traditional Korean clothing, Han-Bok.  We then came up with a unique way of enticing buyers  using Korean drama placards that were famous in China at that time. A few weeks after, we found ourselves in Beijing, selling the products at a slightly higher price. Our gimmick turned out effective and our project successful as numerous Chinese people flocked to our stand, asking about the characters and buying the accessories afterward. As a result, we went back to Korea tired but happy. This short trip was like a turning point for me. It ignited in me an interest in the global economy. Hence, the dream of owning and running an international company glowed like a fire in the dark.
 
Realizing this dream became one of the most important things for me for it is the application of all the things that interests me and all the lessons Ive learned from all of the travels Ive had.
Tell us about an activity that is important to you, and why. Please feel free to talk about an activity other than one you may have discussed in your essay.

In Sta. Monica College, I got involved in Sustainable Works, a non-profit organization aiming to teach the concept of sustainable living to Sta. Monica residents and businesses. We organized forums showcasing various experiences in community development and environmental awareness. My involvement in the project made me see the importance of balancing economic growth and environment protection. It made me realize that sustainable development can only be attained if we learn to care more for the only planet that we have, if we begin to think of the needs of the future generation. It also taught me of the joys that could only come from involving yourself in community works, in recognizing that you are doing something to make the place that you are in to be a better one. Through Sustainable Works, it dawned on me that being involved in the community and doing my share to care for our planet also matters to me a lot.

Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC. Please feel free to address your first- and second-choice major selections.

During my trip to China, I felt the thrill and a certain pride that our products were being accepted by a community so different from ours. This is a study in both human essential needs vis-a-vis cultural influence, and from then on, I am excited to discover how to blend these for a successful international business. As a start, I plan to pursue a business degree in USC to learn the  basics of commerce and to become familiar with the routines and procedures that comes with it. I also plan to actively participate in multi-cultural studentss organizations to gain more perspective on international issues especially those affecting the the business community and to be accustomed into regularly dealing with people from various national and social background.

Why are you planning to transfer to USC
While I enjoy going to SMC, I feel that it is time to move on to a bigger university. The two-year business program in SMC will not give the Bachelors Degree that I need to realize my dream of running my own international company. Thus, I decided to shift from my 2 year program in Sta Monica College to your reputable university.  I believe that a business degree from the USC will help me realize my dream of becoming a succesful international business tycoon who is known for his high regard on cultural diversity and environmental protection.

0 comments:

Post a Comment