Personal Statement for Business and Management

I am not entertained with the idea neither of living abroad nor to live away from my family. Just the thought of it is something that I dreaded the most as it sends out the message that I would have to learn a different language, make new set of friends and leave the old ones behind. As much as I hate to admit it, these perspectives of mine clashes with my ideals about acquiring education. I know that I have lived within my own bubble for such a long time that I have to burst the bubble I created so that I could take advantage of the opportunities that the education abroad can offer. I took the advice of my parents and friends packed my things and unknowingly headed to United States, with the fear in my heart that I might disappoint the people who have trusted my potentials.

I attended high school at Seattles Ballard High School. It was never easy at the beginning. During my first year of school here in the US, I came across myriads of discrimination, cultural differences and academic difficulties since I did not have any inclination with the English language considering that I came from China. This limitation makes it hard for me to establish friendship and express myself well to others. More often than not my classmates misunderstood me, and although they did not tell me outright that I am different, their silence whenever I am around is somehow intended to be as a delicate a rejection as possible. Of course, I felt like I was always the cast out it even came to a point that I wanted to go back home. But, I just cannot give up on my dreams yet and disappoint my family. I did not let my frustrations and hatred get the best of me and did not allow it to wither my spirit. Instead, I used these experiences to fuel my desire to finish high school, and step right into college with a degree in business and management. I promised to myself that I will not be judged based from where I came from and my limitations, but based from the content of my character and my capabilities and skills as an individual.

My determination has helped me conquer the obstacles I encountered. Nevertheless, my efforts did not go unnoticed as I was able to graduate high school, and managed to participate in activities that helped me in reaching out to other people of diverse background. I became a volunteer for the schools Chinese Information and Service Center, wherein I assisted foreign students like me during their performance. My passion for the arts, most especially in the field of dancing has proven to be a valuable talent when I transferred here in the US, as it gave me the ticket to become a part of Seattles West Lake Dancing Center. These activities gave me the opportunity to showcase not only my talent but also my ability to adapt in extreme situations. Likewise, they intensified my desire to pursue higher education in order to achieve my goal of securing a degree in business and management. Through all these, I have already proved to myself that it is alright to be different, afraid and rejected, as long as I do not let such fear and rejection dictate the events of my life and use my difference to work on my skills. I found that the feelings of fear and rejection, once conquered can be translated ultimately into a feeling of elation and this has become my driving force since then.

Right after high school, I enrolled at a local community college to pursue a degree in business and management. The motivation behind my decision to specialize in business management lies in my determination to apply my aptitudes in the field of mathematics and social sciences, or perhaps it is innate in me to become inclined with these fields because at a young age I have already been exposed in the business environment as I have accompanied my father in our family business back in China. During my first academic quarter, I have developed a keen interests about leadership and management skills as well as business maths and communication. I felt these knowledge would help me along the way in my future business career. Likewise, I was also able to apply in my online accessories business what I have learned from school and what I have experienced while I was assisting my father in our business. I can fairly say that this simple business that I managed to put up is the fruition of my creativity and deep interest in intersecting my passion for the arts and business. By doing so, I came up with my own product designs, which I believe is doing well in the online market. This only proves that I take the privilege of education seriously because this way I would be able to return to China, help my father in our business and in the near future, allow me to set up a business that will contain my own product designs.

Although I do appreciate the things that I am learning in my current college, I still feel that I am not living up with my full potentials as a future business practitioner. The reason behind my decision to transfer to the undergraduate program in business and management at the University of Washington originates from my desire to receive a first-rate undergraduate education. I ardently believe that University of Washington provides invaluable experiences for their students, which compliments my desire to achieve experiential education and know-how in the field of business and management. Beyond the universitys experiential learning, another reason why I wish to continue my undergraduate education at the University of Washington is credited to its well acclaimed business programs, which would  not only give me the opportunity to advance my career life and achieve self-development, but more importantly would help me secure a strong application for my later practice. I know that the university is the right choice for me to embark upon my undergraduate business and management education because it is quite prominent among its counterpart, and provides pedagogical resources that would further enhance my knowledge in the field of my choice.

With regards to my motive for selecting the field of business and management, it is my long-cherished interest that primarily counts. I have been well versed in these two fields, and I strongly believe that I have to finish what I have already started. To pursue a degree in the field that I am truly passionate about is not as much a challenge as an opportunity,  because doing so is one definitive way for me to get closer to achieving my personal and professional objectives, and be able to share my knowledge with individuals who have the same pursuit as mine. Nevertheless, this will not only bring me personal satisfaction but also make my life more meaningful and rewarding.

Being an individual who gives a strong emphasis on the importance of academic determination and the fundamentals of experiential learning, I am now ready to attend the business and management program of the University of Washington. With the life experiences I possess and my determination to succeed, I know that I could give significant contributions to the university. I am prepared to face the obstacles that I am about to face, and  I am ensuring the university that I am a good candidate for the program.

0 comments:

Post a Comment