Start young to stay ahead This has been the simple truth of my life so far. I discovered my business acumen one hot summer afternoon at the age of ten. While other children in my neighborhood stayed indoors cooling themselves, I set up a small stand, selling lemonade at ten cents a cup. I was thrilled at the eighteen dollar and seventy cents I made and thought I had learnt it all when my Dad commented that, though I did well, I had not considered the expenses at all. Thus began my first lesson in business. For me the purpose of owning a business to create jobs to help the economy. My dad who is an entrepreneur himself took me under his wings at a very early age.

My days changed when my Dad took an active interest in teaching me about the basics of running a business. He also introduced me to the magic of stock markets at a very young age. I soon began reading the Investors Business Daily and other newspapers and following companies performances on a daily basis. My interest in both business and economics continued while my achievements grew. In the sixth grade, I became a member of Junior Achievement. This further helped me get a deeper understanding and gain different perspectives of both business and economics. By then I was truly hooked and on entering high school, I started a Young Investors Group. We discussed investment strategies, economic theories and even purchased an AP Economics book to study on our own since our high school did not offer the course. Next I applied for and was accepted to participate in the Economics for Leaders Program in Chicago this past summer.

The Weisman Scholarship offered at Babson College is the perfect opportunity for me to grow as a professional. Babson College has one of best business administration programs in the world. My desired to apply for this was based quality of the education offered and this university and its reputation for being an innovative educational institution. My life experiences so far have created a greater passion to be a part of the business world. Participation in this scholarship program will help me develop my qualitative and quantitative skills as well as improving my interpersonal communication skills. These three attributes are extremely important to achieve success in the corporate world. The program places a lot emphasis on research. I want to learn more about how to gather environmental data to then convert it into information that is useful for the managerial decision making process. Another important attribute that this program can provide with is the ability to enhance my leadership skills. Leadership skills are extremely important. The leadership style that is preferred is charismatic leaderships. Charismatic leadership can be defined as a special case of interpersonal influence that gets an individual or group to do what the dealer wants (Schermern  Hunt  Osborn, 2003, p.286).

Life is a never ending journey in which a person can find happiness if the find a profession their passionate about. Working adults that have a full time job work 2080 hours a year. Due to amount of time people work in workplace one has find a career that you passionate about. My passion is the business world. My very excited about program and I that if Is selected for the program the university will not regret because I ready and willing to sacrifice myself in order become a better professional.

0 comments:

Post a Comment